[FFmpeg-devel] Can we drop OpenJPEG 1.5 in favor of 2.x?

Michael Bradshaw mjbshaw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 23:11:57 CEST 2015

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> James Almer <jamrial <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Why does configure even check for 2.x if the actual
> > lavc wrappers don't currently support it?
>
> It is possible to use openjpeg2 with current
> FFmpeg (I use it for testing) but it is
> everything but user-friendly.

Kind of. The openmj2 library that openjpeg2 comes with hasn't been touched
in ~3 years[1] (the only recent commits to that part of the library have
been cosmetic/build related, so it's substantially out of date compared to
openjp2).

This patch updates ffmpeg to use openjp2, not openmj2 (as it currently
does). openjp2 has a ton of fixes and improvements.

I have no idea why the openmj2 library exists, or why its just sitting
there stagnating in the OpenJPEG repo. It'll be nice to get ffmpeg off of
it.

 [1]: https://github.com/uclouvain/openjpeg/commits/master/src/lib/openmj2