[FFmpeg-devel] Can we drop OpenJPEG 1.5 in favor of 2.x?

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 20:02:04 CEST 2015

On 10/24/2015 1:03 PM, Michael Bradshaw wrote:
> tl;dr: I've got a patch that updates OpenJPEG to 2.0/2.1. Currently, I've
> opted to drop OpenJPEG 1.5. Should I proceed with preparing this patch for
> submission, or should I alter it to keep 1.5 support?
>
> ----
>
> The OpenJPEG API went through a bit of an overhaul in the 1.x to 2.x
> transition. This means that supporting 1.5 and 2.x concurrently in ffmpeg
> would be possible, but would require some (ugly) macros.
>
> Given that v2.0 was released ~19 months ago, I think it's been long enough
> that users should, most likely, have access to a modern 2.x OpenJPEG on
> their machine. So I don't think dropping 1.5 would be catastrophic.
>
> But, on the other hand, it's nice to be a swiss army knife that works with
> everything, so I can understand if others think supporting 1.5 is important.
>
> I don't want to submit my patch (as is) if I'm just going to be told to go
> back and keep 1.5 support. If ya'll still want 1.5 support, I'd rather
> include that from the get-go rather than revising the patch during the
> review.
>
> Opinions on whether 1.5 should be dropped in favor of 2.x?

Why does configure even check for 2.x if the actual lavc wrappers don't
currently support it?

Gentoo and Debian both seem to ship it. Arch does as well but on their
Community repository (ffmpeg adopting it may be incentive enough for them
to move it to Extra).
No idea about other distros, but in any case, if there's any that doesn't
ship it then we should keep supporting it for a while, even if it means
adding some ugly macros. We could even add some deprecation warning during
configure if 1.5 is used, to urge distros to switch.