[FFmpeg-devel] setting up a proper Github mirror

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Sun Oct 11 21:43:19 CEST 2015

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Michael Niedermayer
<michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 09:04:32PM +0200, Clément Bœsch wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 02:43:53PM -0400, Ganesh Ajjanagadde wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I noticed that the Github mirror: https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg is
>> > over 3 hours out of sync with the main repos, making it unusable as a
>> > fetch url for development. Anyone knows why this is the case?
>> >

>> Isn't this done manually by whoever has access to it?
>
> yes
> i (and possibly timothy) push to github after doing full build and
> fate tests. If for some reason build or fate fails or iam aware of
> a major/critical breakage in master which is not in github yet then i
> do not push to github.
> So github may be a few hours behind master but in the rare event
> of a major messup it should not propagate to github before its fixed

Thanks for clarifying. Any inherent reason you want to keep it like
this instead of a post-receive hook?
I do not see any concrete benefit for keeping Github slightly more
"pristine' than our repository: someone who builds off master will in
all likelihood not be using the Github URL, but our repo's url anyway.
Furthermore, I do not consider such a difference useful (especially
since it is not documented) - keeping both "complete" and up to date
is IMHO good.

Of course, the concrete benefit I am trying to get is to move
fetch/pull load away from VideoLAN/our host more generally to Github
who are much less starved for resources than us.