[FFmpeg-devel] setting up a proper Github mirror

Timothy Gu timothygu99 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 21:09:41 CEST 2015

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 11:44 AM Ganesh Ajjanagadde <gajjanag at mit.edu>
wrote:

> I noticed that the Github mirror: https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg is
> over 3 hours out of sync with the main repos, making it unusable as a
> fetch url for development. Anyone knows why this is the case?

It is not an automatic mirror, and it is only updated when Michael or I
pushes since a) only three people have been added to the FFmpeg
organization and b) only Michael and I bothered to add Git aliases.

Same goes for the other repos.

Also, it looks like one can set some fancy UI illustrating that it is
> a mirror, see for instance: https://github.com/coreutils/coreutils.
> Anyone knows how to do this?

One has to contact GitHub for it. I tried doing that a long time ago but
they said they would do it only if Michael asked for it, and I didn't
bother.

Plus the mirror symbol doesn't offer any advantages:

1. pull requests still cannot be disabled
2. one still has to manually push to the GitHub mirror, either by hand or
through a receive hook on the server IIRC

Timothy