[FFmpeg-devel] Default dynamic range compression on AC3

Wiebe Cazemier wiebe at halfgaar.net
Sun Mar 29 19:15:56 CEST 2015

----- Original Message -----

Patch posted.

Perhaps I should have added a code comment saying that even though the ATSC standard says DRC should be applied by default, allowing users it to be off, ffmpeg, being a back-end library, should have it off by default, because if developers don't know about the DRC meta data, DRC will be applied without the ability to turn it off, as is the case with Kodi and VLC.

I'm (somewhat) OK with it if writers/manufacturers of media players include it and enable it by default, but by doing so, they are aware of what they're doing, and will very likely include it as a user option.