[FFmpeg-devel] Default dynamic range compression on AC3

Zach Swena zcybercomputing at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 15:34:22 CET 2015

Something to keep in mind, AC3 is a broadcast format, so it makes sense to
have range compression built in because many listeners are viewing on TV
sets with limited range capabilities.  I wasn't aware of this option, but
will probably end up using it for a program I am making.  I don't care
about the default value, as long as I can change it and the feature and
default value get proper documentation.  That is just a bit of background
on why the AC3 spec has this feature.  Theoretically it should be turned
off at the decoder if connected to proper speakers though.

Zach