[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC project proposal + qualification task

Lukasz Marek lukasz.m.luki2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 04:13:26 CET 2015

On 21.03.2015 19:01, wm4 wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 02:51:31 +0100
> Mariusz Szczepańczyk <mszczepanczyk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> my name is Mariusz Szczepańczyk and I am currently finishing my
>> bachelor's degree in Computer Science at the University of Warsaw in
>> Poland. I have written few patches for other open source projects, like
>> gif reading plugin for OpenImageIO, however I'm new to FFmpeg.
>>
>> I'd like to work on the "Browsing content on the server" task as
>> described on wiki extended by samba and possibly local zip archives if
>> it gets a good reception. And maybe having rename and delete methods
>> also could be nice. I reached out to Lukasz Marek, who is listed as
>> backup mentor and he pointed me to his last year's patches that add
>> directory listing api and implement some of the protocols. In a couple
>> of minutes I'll send these patches rebased against current master plus
>> my take on samba protocol.
>>
>> Any comments and ideas are appreciated.
>
> If the patches you posted (and which are not even your work, just
> rebased older patches from someone else) are the qualification task,
> then what's left for the "real" project work?

Qualification task it to implement one protocol using provided API, so I
don't understand your complaining as this requirement is met. "Real"
project work is to implement this feature for HTTP (which is not
standardized as far is i know) and for FTP LIST command fallback (which
is not standardized neither), and handle some rare cases I surly didn't
included in my patches. Also you may refer my previous mails about
extending this project as some *easy* work is already done.

Just comment from me; for people who participate in ffmpeg for some
time,  your comment is just like your comments are (rude, demotivating,
and ofter useless), but for students who supposed to have some help and
support here, your comment is just stupid. If you think this project is
stupid, then you should've removed it from the project list before
someone involved into it.