[FFmpeg-devel] Patch review: av_dict: add support for empty values

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Mar 4 13:27:31 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 10:51:01PM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
> I've made some patches, and am finally getting around to sending them
> upstream.
>
> I'm trying out gmail for dealing with a high-traffic list like this one,
> instead of my usual mutt.  Are the one-line-paragraph long lines it's
> probably going to produce an annoyance for anyone?  I didn't notice
> anything about line lengths in emails in
> https://www.ffmpeg.org/developer.html
>

> I put in pull requests on github for 4 different branches.  Should I send
> email to the list for each set of patches?  Should I git-send-email, or is
> a mail with a URL for the github pull request enough?  (Or is just a pull
> request enough?  developer.html seems to say that sending a pull request is
> an alternative to mailing patches to the list.)

I think what developer.html meant was that maintainers
after they have made sure code is correct (though whatever means
they consider neccessary and sufficient) contribute code by sending a
mail to ffmpeg-devel or me asking for the code to be merged.

people do contribute also through github style pull requests but
i think everyone prefers the mailing lists for review and discussion
of patches.

so yes, please submit them with git send-email

also ive taken a quick look at the first pull request
> - decimate->sad = av_pixelutils_get_sad_fn(3, 3, 0, decimate); // 8x8, not aligned on blocksize
> + decimate->sad = av_pixelutils_get_sad_fn(3, 3, 0, ctx); // 8x8, not aligned on blocksize

i dont think this is needed though arguably it makes the code more
consistent as the rest uses ctx. but both have a AVClass as first
element and thus should work as av_log context
So a commit message that point to consistency rather than correctness
would be better

about DECIMATE_PACKED_HACK, it would be best if this could be choosen
at runtime by the user

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf