[FFmpeg-devel] New asf demuxer

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 18:42:00 CEST 2015

On 28/06/15 1:21 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 04:54:02PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
>> Le decadi 10 messidor, an CCXXIII, Carl Eugen Hoyos a écrit :
>>> From a very quick look, the new code seems mostly
>>> unreviewed
>>
>> What makes you say that? Where did you give your "very quick look" exactly?
>>
>>> Do you disagree?
>>

>> I do disagree, on several counts. First, the old muxer was based on
>> reverse-engineering, the new one is based on the spec;
>
> this may be true for the original demuxer 15 years ago, (iam not
> its author so iam not the right one to ask about it)
>
> but work was done on it since then
> not sure when the specs where first released, there are btw multiple
> versions of the specs

I assume this one https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14995
published three years ago.

Does the new demuxer introduce serious regressions? Does it make any file play worse?
If so, then i can understand keeping the old one until the new one is polished, or
even remove the new one and merge it again once it's usable (assuming nobody here
plans to work on it), but if not then we can do without the old one.

No matter what we choose let's just not keep two demuxers in the tree for too long.