[FFmpeg-devel] phasing out asyntcs, resample

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Tue Dec 22 01:18:42 CET 2015

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:
> Le primidi 1er nivôse, an CCXXIV, Ganesh Ajjanagadde a écrit :
>> 1. swresample dates to 2012, and was utilized for aresample around
>> then. If aresample indeed subsumes asyncts, why not mark asyncts
>> deprecated, issue a warning telling users to switch to aresample, and
>> phase it out after some time. If it is indeed obsolete, it is useless
>> maintainence burden (with even some recent activity that is wasted
>> energy).
>> 2. The craziness of having 3 filters for essentially the same task:
>> aresample, resample, asyncts. Seems like resample is the avresample
>> equivalent of the swresample based aresample. Same remark above
>> applies to resample.
>>
>> This is a request for resolution on this topic.
>
> Just look at git blame: resample and asyncts come from the fork.

They do, but since we have stopped compatibility and are subsumed by
better alternatives (as per the docs), I see no reason why FFmpeg
developers should work on them, and they should be phased out IMHO
(hence the thread). If asyncts actually does something not subsumed by
aresample, the docs should be updated.