[FFmpeg-devel] mpegtsenc: signalling of AC-3 and E-AC-3 according to ATSC/DVB

Stefan Pöschel basic.master at gmx.de
Sat Dec 12 23:49:08 CET 2015

[sorry, used wrong sender previously]

Hi,

within the MPEG-TS muxer, the signalling of AC-3 is done according to
System A (ATSC) while in contrast E-AC-3 is signalled according to
System B (DVB).
To fix this inconsistency, E-AC-3 should IMO be signalled according to
System A, too. Furthermore a flag for the mpegts_flags param should be
added to optionally switch the behaviour (regarding both codecs) to
System B conformity.

IMO it makes more sense to change the E-AC-3 behaviour to ATSC instead
of the AC-3 behaviour to DVB, as the AC-3 behaviour is older (E-AC-3 is
present in FFmpeg code since 2011).

If there are no objections against my proposal, I would write and post a
regarding patch.

Thanks and regards,
	Stefan