[FFmpeg-devel] AAC experimental flag: the sequel

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Wed Dec 2 16:51:07 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, here comes the discussion again.
>
> This time, the AAC encoder is in good shape. It's not perfect. I have
> a list of known bugs to address that still has some issues, but I'm
> not really certain whether they should block the flag's removal.
>
> The bugs will be addressed in time, but maybe the encoder is in good
> enough shape as it is?

IIUC, JBK responded at VDD 2015 to the question of for which types of
files they don't use avcodec. He mentioned AAC due to some user's
complaints about quality on certain files. This was likely referring
to the decoder and not encoder. Nevertheless, I suggest a conversation
with them (or other users) to obtain problematic files to test.

If it works fine wrt users (who really are the main people affected by
removal of such "strict" flags), and the more immediate possible
concerns of Clement are met, then I am ok with this change.

Or in other words, for me removal of the flag is "stable beyond
fuzzing/security, and stable for integration by important users".

If there are known crashes, it is an immediate nack from me.