[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 2.8

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Aug 31 11:35:34 CEST 2015

wm4 <nfxjfg <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> It's been said multiple times: the old code is
> terrible, while the new demuxer's code is actually
> maintainable.

Ok (I don't agree, but let's assume that for a moment):
But who is maintaining it?
Who is going through the user reports on trac and
fixing the issues? It's been exactly two months now
since these reports were requested by you and - iirc -
one issue was fixed.

I do agree that if the demuxers were both similarly
in function, that other arguments have to be found
to distinguish which is "better".
In this case, it seems to me that either the new
demuxer is not more maintainable or that nobody
who wants to maintain asf cares if it is more
"maintainable" (whatever that actually means) or
not.

> But we all know you hate the new demuxer because
> Libav wrote it.

I don't like the new demuxer because it is broken
and because it wasn't reviewed.
Until today, no sample was named by others that works
better with the new demuxer.

(I hate that "innocent" time was wasted on reinventing
the wheel, but this is of course irrelevant, it wasn't
my time.)

Carl Eugen