[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC]fps filter

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Aug 20 14:00:29 CEST 2015

Hi!

I finally realized why -vf fps=30000/1001,fieldmatch,decimate does
not always work / produces ugly output.
The issue is not related to fieldmatch and/or decimate but to the
fps filter: It (sometimes) drops frames even if the framerate is
increased. So the question is: Is it a good idea that fps (iiuc)
never increases frame duration when increasing the frame rate, not
even if that would avoid frame drops? What is the use-case for the
current behaviour?
Work-around is to use -vf dejudder,fps... but I wonder why this
should be necessary in the general case (and if it really works for
long samples).

A sample with such timestamps is in
http://samples.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bugs/trac/ticket3968/
The relevant part starts after 85 seconds iirc. Note that later on,
the frame rate gets reduced to 20fps, so the output file will never
look completely clean (at least as long as Michael doesn't commit
his new fps filter).

ffmpeg -i input -r does not show this behaviour afaict, it does not
drop frames if it can be avoided.

Carl Eugen