[FFmpeg-devel] Matroska and PCM variants, error in encoding?

Romeyke, Andreas Andreas.Romeyke at slub-dresden.de
Mon Aug 3 13:27:48 CEST 2015

Dear FFMPEG-developer,

in case of digital preservation I want to convert/normalize videos to files with Matroska-Container, FFV1 video- and wave-PCM audiocodec.

I am using this commandline:

ffmpeg -i inputvideo.webm -c:v ffv1 -level 3 -g 1 -coder 1 -context 1 -slices 16 -slicecrc 1 -report -c:a pcm_s32le -y outputvideo.mkv

This line works fine, but with "-c:a pcm_u24le" I got the error message: "[matroska @ 0x1a0adc0] No wav codec tag found for codec pcm_u32le"

Could you explain me, what was going wrong?

And secondly, could you explain the difference between the various PCM-encodings? My assumpation was, that
*  the unsigned variant are "linear PCM", because there are only positive quantization levels
* the signed variant are "linear differential PCM"
* and the float variants are A/µ - weighted PCM?

Or  I am totally wrong with this interpretation? Please, could you link me to an explanation?

Thanks in advance

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
With best regards,

Andreas Romeyke
--
project member "long-term preservation"

Saxon State- and University Library Dresden (SLUB)
Department 2 (IT), Division 2.3 (network and data security)
Zellescher Weg 18 | 01069 Dresden
phone: +49 351 4677 216
E-Mail: Andreas.Romeyke at slub-dresden.de
http://www.slub-dresden.de/ | @slubdresden