[FFmpeg-devel] Questions on adding a FATE test for the HLS muxer

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Sep 19 00:27:05 CEST 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 06:05:38PM +0000, Raento Mika wrote:
> Hiy'all
>
> As suggested by Michael, I'm trying to add a FATE test for the new
> single_file option to the HLS muxer.
>
> I have something working, but I'm not sure what's the best way to do this.
> The wiki page is not very complete.
>
> The HLS muxer produces a number of .ts files (well, one for the
> single_file case) and a m3u8 file. The m3u8 is output several times during
> the muxing.
>
> The existing tests I found all use a single output, passing '-' as the
> output filename to ffmpeg. Doing this generates a file that looks like
>
> <ts contents for first segment><first m3u8 contents><ts contents for
> second segment><second m3u8 contents>...
>
> checking this against a reference file will indeed verify the whole
> output, but is not very readable. Should I do this? And if so, how do I
> add a new reference file to FATE.

the output files, each should be checked against a md5 stored in git
also the whole  should be demuxed again (with framecrc) and that too
compared against the good framecrc output in git.

theres no real reference file for the fate-suite for this as theres
not one correct ts file set. slight changes in the ts muxer or
encoders would change the output

If a bugfix only changes things apparently unrelated to the bug with no
further explanation, that is a good sign that the bugfix is wrong.