[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] doc: document the addition of the AVProbeData.mime_type field and it' s implications

Andreas Cadhalpun andreas.cadhalpun at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 14 02:23:55 CEST 2014

On 14.09.2014 01:29, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 01:05:45AM +0200, Andreas Cadhalpun wrote:
>> On 14.09.2014 00:43, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> note, i will release 2.4 tomorrow (2014-09-14) or rather i intend
>>> to. So anything that isnt pushed to the RELEASE_NOTES by then wont
>>> be in it
>>
>> OK, so attached are two hopefully uncontroversial patches, one
>> changing RELEASE_NOTES to only claim that the API is mostly
>> compatible and the other to add Clément's wording to doc/APIChanges.
>>
>> I still think it would be good to mention the AVProbeData.mime_type
>> problem in the RELEASE_NOTES, but if there is a strong preference
>> not to do this, then so be it.
>
> ive no preference at all except that i want the RELEASE_NOTES file to
> be ok for release and everyone happy with whats written in it

I see.

[...]
>>      The FFmpeg Project proudly presents FFmpeg 2.4 "Fresnel", ...
>> -   FFmpeg 2.4 is API-, but not ABI-compatible with the previous major release.
>> -   This means that the code using our libraries needs to be rebuilt, but no
>> +   FFmpeg 2.4 is mostly API-, but not ABI-compatible with the previous major release.
>> +   This means that the code using our libraries needs to be rebuilt, but only minimal
>>      source changes should be required.
>
> this should probably point to what changes these are or to a list
> like the "Behaviour changes" section

The problem is that there currently is no such list. The only
information about these so far is doc/APIchanges, which is quite
verbose, so that important changes can easily be missed.

What do you think about adding a short list of these in the 'API
Information' section, like attached patch does.

Best regards,
Andreas