[FFmpeg-devel] patch for x32 for libpostproc

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Sep 4 13:27:23 CEST 2014

Hi Reinhard

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 11:33:48PM -0400, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> >> Is http://git.videolan.org/?p=libpostproc.git still maintained?
> >
> > AFAIK, no, it seems the last commit is 2 years ago
> >

> >> The Debian package tracks that repository, and ideally we could
> >> collect the postproc patches there.
> >
> > libpostproc was and is maintained in
> > git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
>
> So the promise given in
> https://lists.libav.org/pipermail/libav-devel/2012-February/020712.html
> doesn't hold anymore?

Can you be a bit more specific ? what "promise" by whom exactly do
you speak of ?

> Any chance to make you reconsider reviving the standalone libpostproc.git?

From what i remember there where some problems with that repository
so actually maintaining it would probably imply first recreating it

for example try to build a old revission:

git checkout a792a836e3d9ef6f1f311604b38095e587282ca7
    (this is libpostproc/master~20 ATM)
./configure
-bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

this is a problem for anyone maintaining the code as for example
git bisect
would not be usable at all

or if you do a git show
commit a792a836e3d9ef6f1f311604b38095e587282ca7
Merge: 1d261c2 7f1c286 7391383 8f2dfd0 8cf4ef5 59d8d9c

Its a commit with 6 ancestors, no commit in FFmpeg or Libav has 6
ancestors

So really, if someone wants to maintain or use libpostproc.git, first
these things need to be fixed

but i dont understand why you dont just take libpostproc
from where its developed, tested and used ?

but if it helps i guess we could copy the libpostproc from FFmpeg
over the one in libpostproc.git (which is what reimar suggested)
libpostproc.git was only intended to be a copy of FFmpeg with libs
other than libpostproc removed anyway.

Would this help you ?

> > please use that for the debian package
>
> I fear that's not feasible at this point.

Why ?

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.