[FFmpeg-devel] Help with writing an RMS-LMS decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Oct 20 13:00:27 CEST 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 06:32:59AM -0400, Ngassa Finjap wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 6:20 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>
> wrote:
>

> > I see this has somewhat been awnsered on IRC
> > maybe thilo can elabrate on this, though I do not think its possible
> > to write such decoder in the remaining time before Wednesday unless
> > one knows what to do already and is quick.
> >

> I did a git grep and found ffmpeg/libavcodec/alsdec.c. I am trying to see
> this ALS decoder is different from the RLS-LMS decoder.

if you dont know the difference between LPC and RLS-LMS
maybe ftp://cs.uef.fi/franti/papers/RLS-LMS_TIP2008.pdf
could help. But note iam no ALS expert, thilo knows all this better

> > If you havnt started yet to work on ALS  then maybe you want to try
> > to work on some other project ?
> > You can also propose things not listed on our wiki including non
> > coding tasks.
> >

> Is there any non-coding task I can propose like an untidy codebase that
> needs documentation  ? Would be glad to have some pointers ?

ive added a non coding task to the wiki earlier today, maybe others
have some ideas which they want to mentor ...
also you can suggest anything you would like to work on on the list
here and we will see what people think about it, if people like it,
if someone wants to mentor it ...

He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know. -- Lao Tsu