[FFmpeg-devel] HAP QuickTime codec support

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Nov 17 22:40:19 CET 2014

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 09:52:31AM +0100, bzk0711 at aol.com wrote:
> The problem with 4:2:0 (which we are currently using
> for most content) is that it is still too heavy on the
> CPU load to make streaming of many videos in parallel
> completely smooth, which is our primary requirement.
>
> Simply using uncompressed actually did not occur to me
> beforehand. Next time we get together I will see how
> far we can get with this until the drive's bandwidth
> is the bottleneck, which I fear might become an issue
> quickly. Thanks for having a look at this!

I am not sure you understood my question/suggestion correctly.
Uncompressed YUV 4:2:0 has half the bandwidth of uncompressed
RGB, and any half-modern GPU can play it "directly" (MPlayer's
-vo gl for example for one implementation).
Reduce the resolution a bit and the bandwith is the same
as with this codec (well, depending on compression mode).
Also some of those old codecs are probably also an option
if bandwidth to the GPU is not the problem.
NUV (both with and without "RT" JPEG) and cinepack are
examples for such codecs (though the latter is horribly
slow to encode with FFmpeg at least).