[FFmpeg-devel] Fwd: Re: [Libav-user] Motion estimation : replacement for deprecated AVFrame::motion_val ?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Mar 27 01:51:53 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 01:29:55AM +0100, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:58 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
[...]
> > But lets forget about that and just design a better system
> > what issues do you see in it, what do you suggest to improve it?
> > the addition of a AVBufferRef is obvious
>
> I would definitely not store anything related to a decoder internal
> inside an AVFrame, maybe an AVBufferRef like you suggest but in
> AVCodecContext.

that would be quite inconvenient, the motion vectors are associated
with a frame not codec context.
Consider a video filter that would want to display them or use them
for some effects, its a lot more convenient if they are in the
AVFrame for that. The same is true for a encoder which might want
to use them as seeds for its motion estimation.

Also with AVCodecContext and multithreading and frame reordering
there would be the question of how to relate motion vectors stored
in a AVCodecContext field to the frames

It sure could be done somehow, i just dont think thats a design thats
easy/convenient to use