[FFmpeg-devel] Bug Tracker Etiquette is Unacceptable

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Sun Mar 2 23:36:43 CET 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicolas George" <george at nsup.org>
To: "FFmpeg development discussions and patches" <ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2014 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] Bug Tracker Etiquette is Unacceptable

>Le duodi 12 ventôse, an CCXXII, compn a écrit :
>> although in this case it maybe that the bug report itself was invalid
>> (as you were not able to report a backtrace with ffmpeg tools)

>A backtrace with the ffmpeg tools is not mandatory, but a means of
>reproducing the bug is necessary. The bug report pretends to cause the bug
>using a "windows app to create the multi-threaded situation", but WHERE IS
>THE SOURCE?

I did not pretend anything at all.

It was analyzed in the mailing list to quite an extent. It was acknowledged and discussed so I filed a bug report.

At that time, it was advertised somewhere that ffmpeg is thread safe if you use av_lockmgr_register which I do. Why were you
advertising that if you can't test with your tools? I think that is all ok now though.

Now I could have provided a bit of source, but since it was discussed at length and understood in the mailing list, it really was
not necessary. It's also a little complex to reproduce, but I got where I could cause the problem quite often but usually took me
about 6 - 10 tries after I automated it pumping many files at it. Even pumped 100 files at it sometimes. I assumed since it was
already understood to be a problem and I showed you where the problem was,  it was not necessary for yet another person to go thru
the hell that I did trying to reproduce it. I could have spent many more hours/days on it I guess trying to explain that to you just
so it could be rejected.

The bug report was just a formality to get it on record.

As far as your tools go, I don't believe they are strong enough to fully test for thread safety.