[FFmpeg-devel] Recommendation for ffmpeg.org background color change

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Mon Jul 28 19:29:40 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 07:00:12AM -0700, Frantisek Korbel wrote:
> Good day to all,
> congratulation to ffmpeg.org new website, now information is better
> structured and users can find data easily.
> One question is a dark background - initially I also used it on my web,
> because it is easier to read when ambient light is low and also it
> saves energy - monitor powers much less pixels on the screen.
> But later I found 3 main reasons why not to use it:

> - All most visited webs like Facebook, Google, Wikipedia, Yahoo etc.
> use black text on white background: http://www.alexa.com/topsites

That's not really an argument, or actually I'm pretty happy we are not
following the current trending too much. Let's wait a few years and dark
styles may come rise again.

> - Some sensitive people can avoid to visit ffmpeg.org only because
> of its black background

A white background hurts my eyes more than a black one (that's the reason
I use Stylish to force a dark CSS on all the websites I visit).

> - Dark background often use warez and other illegal webs, so some
> visitors can get questions about the site contents.

FFmpeg is barely legal so it's important to make sure our users are aware
they are at risk when visiting the website, anything could happen, like
police knocking at their door anytime.

> For this reasons I strongly recommend to set the white background

This is mostly a taste issue, and changing to white would mean a complete
rework of the colors. Some people will prefer dark, some other will prefer
brighter ones. I'd say... "deal with it", but that's only my opinion.

Clément B.