[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC]Add int64_t probesize2 to AVFormatContext

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Jul 28 10:43:13 CEST 2014

Le decadi 10 thermidor, an CCXXII, Eli Kara a écrit :
> It would solve the problem for DVDs with structure, which is probably what
> most people have when they rip a DVD.

Certainly. But the other scenarios where the user only have a big MPEG-PS
file and nothing else, are likely too.

> Just out of curiosity - why isn't DVD/BR reading implemented in FFmpeg? Is
> it because of the encryption that needs to be cracked?

Nothing of the sort. lavf supports reading Blu Ray discs since March 2012.
But DVDs are much more difficult, because they pile up a crappy format on
top of another even-more-crappy format, with additional braindeadness to
boot. Fortunately, the Blu Ray guys hired more competent developers to
design their formats -- I only wish they kept the incompetent crypto guys.

I can add that I committed in April a script that allows ffmpeg to partially
access DVD-Video structures directly. That is a hack, it uses the concat
demuxer to stitch the VOB files together, lacks a lot of features from the
DVD structure (language metadata, palette for  the subtitles, chapters), and
requires an external tool with non-standard patches, but in the meantime I
suppose it can be of some use.

I suspect the problem with the undetected subtitle stream that started this
thread could be worked around with a similar concat script.

But that does not replace real support for DVD-Video.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George