[FFmpeg-devel] (sponsored) feature request

Oliver Fromme oliver at fromme.com
Thu Jul 3 15:21:22 CEST 2014

Edit B wrote:
 > FFmpeg takes time to startup, and that time is not always the same. (Between
 > some 200 and 450 Msecs on my system)
 > Thus, by feeding a TC in the commandline, it's impossible to get a correct
 > timestamp on output when encoding a live stream, as by the time FFmpeg has
 > the first frame to work on, a couple of frames have already passed.
 > My case is to record from several inputs at the same time, and i need
 > matching TC on all streams (Thus, NOT the same start TC value on all, as the
 > streams never start at exactly the same time.).

Just an idea ...  Would it help to provide a "wait" option?

In other words, you specify a timestamp on the command line
that is in the near future (a minute or just a few seconds
ahead), and that "wait" option would instruct ffmpeg to wait
until the local system clock actually reaches that timestamp,
right before starting the recording.

I'm just asking because that would be quite easy to implement,
as far as I can tell.

Best regards
   Oliver

--
``We are all but compressed light'' (Albert Einstein)