[FFmpeg-devel] Sponsoring and generating money in general (IRC meeting follow-up)

Fred Rothganger frothga at sandia.gov
Tue Jan 21 01:57:40 CET 2014

On 01/20/2014 04:27 PM, Andrey Utkin wrote:
> Eelco, i've looked at your issue. My best wishes to you with it,
> unfortunately personally i am not keen on Matroska internals and not
> having enough time to investigate it in nearest time. Regarding
> calculating reasonable bounty amount, i think it may be near to amount
> of money (or cost of time) to solve the issue by yourself or by your
> employees. This way you definitely mustn't be afraid to offend anybody :)

If there is a system where multiple people can offer a bounty on the
same issue, then there would be no need to worry about how potential
programmers might perceive it. Simply offer what it is worth to you, or
what you can afford. If that is not enough, then maybe others will add
to the bounty. Alternately, maybe you could go back and revise the bounty.

If possible, social stigma should be removed as a barrier. IE: you
should be free to offer what you are willing, as opposed to offering
nothing at all. Maybe some message on the bounty system (whatever it is)
could help set potential contributors at ease about this.