[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Browser remote content API

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Feb 9 06:02:11 CET 2014

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 02:14:22AM +0100, Lukasz Marek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an idea of new API, hopely useful.
>
> FFmpeg allows to use content on remote servers via network protocols
> (http, ftp, sftp). It can be read, written, played, probed etc, but
> in case user want to make application with some UI that displays
> that content (file names, dirs) then they need to implement it
> aside.
> It would be nice to extend URLProtocol with some kind of "readdir" callback.

yes

reordered your mail a bit

> Maybe this is a project for GSoC?

how much does a student need to read and understand (i means specs)
to implement this, is that together with implementation realistic
within the 12 weeks ?

iam a bit concerned that theres maybe too much code and specs
reading involved. That is a student would have to wrap his head
around 3 different protocol implementations and specifications

but if you think it can be done, then make one of the 3 protocols
the qualification task, a student passing that not only shows that
he can do it he also would have 1/3 less work in the summer

also i would suggest you design and implement the API without the
student to not complicate that further

> Furhtermore, it would be nice to have single function that read
> media related metadata like resolution, duration, codec,maybe
> thumbnail etc. (copy paste from ffprobe can be probably done).

i dont understand how this is related to the rest of your mail

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle