[FFmpeg-devel] Patch: icl linker errors in cmdutils

Matt Oliver protogonoi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 01:23:03 CET 2014

On 8 February 2014 02:11, Derek Buitenhuis <derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2/7/2014 2:37 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Derek tests on Windows.
>
> Of course I tested on Windows, he said *ICL*.
>
> On Linux it is called *ICC*!
>
> If he meant Linux, it's his own fault for using the wrong compiler name
> in his email.
>
> Furthermore, Matt, *please* provide your ICL or ICC version in full. You
> have been extremely vague on details for this, and your config line, and
> nobody has been able to reproduce your bug. I'm not going to accept a patch
> with such shoddy info.
>
> - Derek

Exact compiler version is Intel® C++ Compiler XE 14.0.1. This shouldn't be
to different to your version so the issues are most likely due to default
options in the compiler configuration (system level). My build chain has
been heavily modified which is obviously causing the differences in
functionality. Ill see what I can do about finding an exact configure line
that will be break compilation on a fresh install but that will require
reverting a whole bunch of changes.

I understand that because I submitted this patch as a fix to a linker error
that you are refusing to accept it purely on whether you can reproduce the
error. My "shoddy" info wasnt a deliberate attempt to be vague I just
figured that for such a simple patch that obviously didnt break anything it
could be applied with minimal effort without wasting anyones time. So on a
philosophical note If this patch had instead been submitted as "Optimize by
removing unnecessary if(0)/if(1) in cmdutils" would it have been more
likely to have been accepted. Relying on a compiler to remove unneeded code
is generally not a good idea especially when its so easy to remove it
yourself. The fact that it can also fix linker errors could just be
considered a bonus.