[FFmpeg-devel] Parallelization

David Ison paralleldev at dtison.net
Wed Dec 31 04:00:00 CET 2014

These are some general ideas I have developed about how to approach this.

Parallelization Strategy and Goals:

1.  Implement in such manner as can easily be disabled and the program
runs in serial with the same results as the parallel version.

2.  The parallel version likewise produces the same results as the serial.

3.  I am planning initial implementations using OpenMP.  There is good
support on Gnu, LLVM and other compilers
<http://openmp.org/wp/openmp-compilers/>.

4.  Incremental Implementation - i.e., portions which are easiest,
parallelized first, and moving forward from there.

Other contributors - can you comment?  You know a lot more concerning
the internal details of FFMpeg than I do.