[FFmpeg-devel] Invitation to VDD and registration

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Aug 16 12:04:04 CEST 2014

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 09:48:18AM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On 16 Aug, Michael Niedermayer wrote :

> > > That's an easy excuse.
> >
> > Is it ?
>
> Yes, it is.
>
> As you might have seen, it's named VideoLAN Dev Days, not FFmpeg Dev
> Days or libav Dev Days. As you know very well, many multimedia projects
> came, from KDE to GNOME, to gst, to MPlayer! folks and people came from all
> around the world. Also big companies that are using the core multimedia
> libraries. And it's always gone well, without any incident.
>
> Maybe you should ask yourself why isn't FFmpeg the center of the
> community, and why aren't people coming to the FFmpeg dev days, while it's
> probably 10x more used than VideoLAN software.
> And maybe you will start growing up and change your attitude.
>
> The multimedia community does not evolve only around your forks, and
> everybody from the multimedia open source community is ashamed of the
> situation and your attitudes...
>
> The VideoLAN Dev Days is done for people to speak about what the magic
> they are doing on a technical level for the multimedia open source
> community; magic that is used all around the world, all the time. It's
> also done for people to meet each other. It's not done for, and it's never
> been focused on your childish fights.
>
> Your email is insulting and your attitude is disgusting.

Iam very confused by what you say. This is definitively not what i
meant.
VDD is a great thing for thouse who like meetings and conferences.
And iam very happy that you organize it and all the people from
different projects come there and have fun and talk with each other.
And i very much would want all multimedia developers to go there and
meet each other as well as people from FFmpeg, Videolan, libav and
all other projects if they like such meetings.

But iam not a conference / meeting / party / traveller guy. I really
dislike going to anything like that. That has nothing to do with it
being VDD or something entirely different.
It certainly doesnt revolve around FFmpeg and Libav but thats the
context in which ive been asked to come there by people.

The real ebay dictionary, page 1
"Used only once"    - "Some unspecified defect prevented a second use"
"In good condition" - "Can be repaird by experienced expert"
"As is" - "You wouldnt want it even if you were payed for it, if you knew ..."