[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Tue Aug 12 16:35:59 CEST 2014

Hi,

wm4:
> > ABI backwards compatibility is not a goal I would want to spend any time
> > on. Forward compatibility, on the other hand …
>
> Well, I think it's a pretty common complaint from commercial software
> vendors. That you can't distribute precompiled binaries reasonably.

They need to compile the software with the lowest-possible version of the
library which they can reasonably use (and which is still API compatible
with the hightest that's in general use).

This is hardly rocket science, but requires care from all participants.

> > gstreamer-ffmpeg?
>
> gstreamer has more problems than it solves. (Forces glib/gobject on
> you, GTK-style OOP, pretty crashy, tons of low-quality plugins,
> complicated API and design, ...)

Yeah, I know. Missing Snarky Smiley Syndrome on my part.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs