[FFmpeg-devel] FFV1 FATE tests

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Mon Oct 28 19:58:17 CET 2013

Hi everyone,

On 08/17/2013 12:49 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> improving fates coverage was and is welcome

I've read up the documentation of FATE [1,2] in order to increase FFV1
fate-coverage.

The existing FFV1 tests I've found were defined in
"tests/fate/vcodec.mak". If I understand them correctly, they test
encoding, right?
The ruleset in "tests/fate/lossless-video.mak" seems to be used for
decoding-tests, right?

I have managed to add FFV1 tests to lossless-video.mak, matching entries
for other codecs. I've mainly derived my testsets there from Lagarith's
entries.
It seems that I've done things correctly, because I've also enabled LCOV
html display and the line coverage increased. Yay! :)

Now before I proceed, I wanted to ask some things in advance:

- Is there a way to generate videos to be used for decoding-tests, in
order not to increase the fate-suite size unnecessarily?
I've found Makefile rules like ENCDEC, DEMDEC, etc. but none yet for
generating-then-testing.

- Current encoding tests assume that the input file is encoded "as-is".
No size or pix_fmt variations "on the fly" in the tests. Makes sense.
Again, in order not to increase the fate-suite size unnecessarily by
adding extra videos:
Is there a way to make these tests, based on a common video (e.g.
vsynth) which is then changed to different parameters (e.g. "-s pal",
"-s hd1080" - or pix_fmt) on the fly?

Thanks,
Pb

[1] http://www.ffmpeg.org/fate.html