[FFmpeg-devel] x11 output device for libavdevice

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun May 26 15:18:57 CEST 2013

Stefano Sabatini <stefasab <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > > Because right now the build system is schizofrenic,
> > > and it is not clear when autodetection logic should
> > > be used or not.
> >
> > (Imo, it is crystal-clear, but that is not the quesion.)
>
> It is not clear at all to me. What is the principle?

"System libraries" are auto-detected.
(vda is currently wrong, I forgot to
work on this in the last days...)

Obviously you can discuss what is a system library
and what is not a system library, we so far argued
that not only libz and libbz2 (and libva) but alsa
and sdl are also system libs.
I find this argumentation not unreasonable and I
do not remember a user or a packager complaining.
(But when we broke libva, complaints were made
immediately.)

(Please understand that this is *our* definition
of "system library", it may of course diverge -
significantly - from other people's definition.)

[...]

> > How is xv different from alsa?
>
> The ALSA wrapper depends on the libasound library,
> which in turn can be installed only when some
> features are available on the system.

(Which features?)

> The XV wrapper depends on the libXv library, which
> in turn can be installed only when some features
> are available on the system.
>
> So from this point of view I see no differences.

Then please make xv autodetected.

Carl Eugen