[FFmpeg-devel] ftp protocol support

Lukasz M lukasz.m.luki at gmail.com
Wed May 15 18:11:35 CEST 2013

Hello,

I prepared patch for FTP protocol support. (Fixes #1672)
Test with following FTP servers (Ubuntu 12.04)
proftpd
pure-ftpd
wu-ftpd

Read operation works fine with all of them.
Write operation is more complicated.
It is working also fine when seek is not required, but usually does.

proftpd required following line in config to enable seek in write mode.
AllowStoreRestart on

pure-ftpd truncutes file at current position after write so it is useless.

wu-ftpd is OK.

Because of that I added an option to enable seeking in write mode
which is turned of by default.

I tested with following scenarios (few different media files):
Write operation:
./ffmpeg -i 1.avi -vcodec copy -strict experimental
-ftp-write-seekable 1 -acodec copy
ftp://user:pass@localhost/output.avi
binary diff to result of the same command with localfile as an output

Read operation
ffplay ftp://user:pass@localhost/1.avi

Looking forward any remarks.

Best Regards,