[FFmpeg-devel] AVFrame linesize and OpenGL GL_UNPACK_ROW_LENGTH

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue May 7 06:27:10 CEST 2013

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 10:06:39PM -0600, Pavel Koshevoy wrote:
> If AVFrame data rows are not pixel aligned then data has to be
> copied row-by-row into an intermediate frame with compatible
> alignment.  It's wasteful and I would like to avoid this because it
> noticably hurts playback performance in my player.

There's loads and loads more stuff that can hurt your performance,
for example ATI (used to?) have rather bad performance unless you used
PBOs - even doing an extra memcpy into the PBO would improve performance.
You might be interested in looking into MPlayer's -vo gl code,
particularly if GPL would be acceptable (but even if not, looking
is always ok).