[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] avio protocol proxy providing seekability to live streams

Lukasz M lukasz.m.luki at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 16:32:51 CEST 2013

> I didn't start working on it, but i have some ideas:
> - just another avio protocol handler, with name and schema like "proxy";

I would call it "buffer" or something. Proxy has a bit different
meaning I think.

> I didn't work with stream seeking in my applications, but the task
> seems limited to making up a URLProtocol implementation.
> I feel able to implement it by myself.
> If you have
> - opinion about value of such functionality (is it really needed and
> with which parameters),

Defininatelly dumping to file should be controlled by parameter. And
also maximum RAM buffer size.

> - experience on topic,
> - related work in progress,
> comments are appreciated.

Idea is interesting, but I think it would be worth to make generic
protocol that covers any other, not only live streams.
In some cases user may take advantate of buffering some possibly slow
protocols (like http, ftp etc) that are seekable anyway without
buffer.

Anyway, that are just my remarks. I believe there are people that have
much more to say than me.

Best Regards,
Lukasz Marek