[FFmpeg-devel] Separately profiling CABAC, dequantization, motion and loop filter steps of H.264 decoder

Arani Bhattacharya arani89 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 23:25:15 CEST 2013

Hi FFmpeg developers,

I am trying to separately profile the performance of entropy decoding
(CABAC), inverse quantization, inverse DCT, motion compensation and
deblocking filter. So far, after trying to understand the working of
the code, I understand that the function ff_h264_decode_mb_cabac
performs entropy decoding (in h264_cabac.c) h264, ff_h264_hl_decode_mb
(in h264.c) performs inverse quanization, inverse DCT and motion
compensation. and the function loop_filter applies the deblocking
filter. All these functions are called for each MB within a slice from
the function decode_slice. Is the above description of the program
structure correct? I looked through the doxygen documentation but did
not find exact description of each function.

Thank you for your time.

With regards,
Arani Bhattacharya