[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] lavf/tee per-output stream selection

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 13:52:30 CEST 2013

On date Thursday 2013-07-18 12:32:46 +0200, Nicolas George encoded:
> Le nonidi 29 messidor, an CCXXI, Stefano Sabatini a écrit :
[...]
> > At some point it would be nice to make possible to select streams on
> > the base of their metadata (e.g. to select only streams in a certain
> > language) using stream selection, but I can devise a simple syntax,
> > not involving demonic escaping issues.
>

> For that, I suspect the really good solution would be to use a real
> scripting language to build filter graphs. And now, because of Clément,
> ffmpeg is linked with liblua anyway.

After some thought my conclusion was that SWIG would be a better
solution than a single scripting language, and that lavfi filtering
requires libav* scripting.

OTOH this requires a serious effort, the kind which is probably doomed
to fail unless there is some concertated effort and an economic
incentive, maybe a related crowd-funding project may do since SOC
projects seem not to be an option anymore for a reason or another (not
that they were ever particularly effective at creating regular
contributors or sponsoring internal developers).
--
FFmpeg = F***ing Free Martial Perfectionist Elected Guide