[FFmpeg-devel] FFSampledSP

Hendrik Schreiber hs at tagtraum.com
Mon Jul 15 21:41:09 CEST 2013

Hey..

I've been working on writing a little Java library for OSX/Win that uses FFmpeg to decode audio in order to play or analyze it.
I know there are a few other libraries out there doing similar things, however, AFAIK none provided the kind of seamless integration I was after.
With seamless I mean, implements javax.sound.sampled.spi-interfaces (http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/javax/sound/sampled/spi/package-summary.html), i.e. you can drop the thing in your class/library path and don't need to learn anything about additional non-standard Java APIs.

Anyhow, the thing is called FFSampledSP (I knew, weird name, but it follows a pattern, as it is part of a collection of libs).
You can find it at:

http://www.tagtraum.com/ffsampledsp/

Since the Java part depends on binaries, FFSampledSP depends on a special FFmpeg built, the tagtraum FFmpeg package (http://www.tagtraum.com/ffmpeg/). Its purpose is really just to download sources, build libraries, and put them into a Maven repository.

Anyhow, to make a long story short: I wanted to thank the people over at libav-user for their help (I'm sure the same people are on this list, so I save myself the cross-posting) and at the same time ask you guys, whether you'd like to include FFSampledSP on http://www.ffmpeg.org/projects.html. It's a small project, but hey—it's working!

Cheers,

-hendrik