[FFmpeg-devel] Willing to join !

Gaetan gaetan at xeberon.net
Thu Jan 31 09:57:43 CET 2013

Hello

I would be glad to join the developper community of the ffmpeg project. I'm
a (quite) experienced C++ developper, mainly under Eclipse/Linux, working
for 5 years in video industry (broadcast/DCP). Now than I'm moving to a new
job not involved in video, I'd like to stay in touch with this world and, I
hope, give some of my experiences back to the community.

I use to hack on mplayer and ffmpeg some years ago for a mobile phone
company, but I don't think my patches reached the community due to the
legal department of my previous employer. So, in a way, I'd like to pay my
debt :)

In long story short, I know pretty much the mxf and mp4 containers, the
h264 (embedding in mxf and mp4, AVC-Intra, Long GOP), AAC, DNxHD, ProRes
codec. No, I won't be able to write one codec by myself (!!), but I think I
might help for integrating these codec in the way they should be in the
container (most of my job was checking for file conformance).

I'm also very confortable with jenkins and buildbot and all these
automation tools, I used to write test programs to automatize compatibility
tests on rendered files againt the HEAD version of the code, daily and
weekly tests, to check their conformance to the expected format (number of
stream, codec configuration, parsing the stream to check for the expected
packets to be here,...).

So, if one or these "skills" is interesting the ffmpeg community, I would
be glad to help you on some of these subjects. Since I cannot exactly know
what will be exactly my involvement in this project in the futur, I just
would like to be pointed to some minor work to do in order to begin slowly
and be able to provide relevant patches early. Which ticket do you think
I'll be able to address easily?

Thanks !

-----
Gaetan