[FFmpeg-devel] Subtitle filters in libavfilter

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 01:38:55 CET 2013

On date Tuesday 2013-01-29 17:17:37 -0500, Chris Burel encoded:
> My original post was this one, and it gives some of the issues with doing
> the rendering in the xsub encoder or ass decoder:
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2011-May/112170.html
>
> At the time, it was suggested to add subtitle support to libavfilter, and
> that seemed like the cleanest approach to me.  Then when I saw the ass
> video filter had already been implemented, it seems like most of the code
> is already in place.  All that would be necessary is to split up the filter
> into two separate ones.

Uhm no subtitle support in libavfilter is definitively not
implemented. The clever hack we have allows to convert a subtitle file
to ASS through libavcodec, and then use libass rendering to overlay it
on top of the input.

I don't know what you mean by "split up the filter into two separate
ones".

Please avoid top-posting on this list.
--
FFmpeg = Freak & Freak Meaningless Picky Elastic Guru