[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] image2 and filename patterns

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Jan 27 01:37:38 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 05:38:21PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Thursday 2013-01-24 15:59:26 +0100, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to address ticket #1969 and I'm collecting a few ideas and
> > seeing some (minor) nuisances.
> >
> > My idea is to implement something like this:
> > ffmpeg INPUT -f image2 -pattern_type sequence_ts foo-%06d.png
> >
> > which would force to encode the timestamps in microseconds (or
> > selectable) in the output files.
> >
> > -pattern_type would be based on the image2 demuxer homonymous option,
> > values could be for example:
> > sequence
> > sequence_ts
> >
> > Currently file overwrite is implemented through the not very intuitive
> > option named 'updatefirst', a possibly cleaner solution would be to
> > adopt another pattern like '-pattern_type file' (which would also
> > avoid pattern escaping on the user side).
> >
> > The 'file' and 'sequence_ts' could be ported to the image2 demuxer
> > (the first would avoid the need for a -loop option at the application
> > level, for example in ffmpeg or in the movie filter).
> >
> > In the mentioned ticket a pattern of the form '%pts' was suggested,
> > but I'm opposed to this for various reasons (need to convert %t
> > sequence to an av_get_frame_filename() pattern, impredictability in
> > case of arbitrary filenames provided by the user).
>
> And patches...

what about timestamp discontinuities ?

with %d and %p for picture number and timestamp they could be stored
in files with just a single %X and a sequence type it would not
work

not saying this use case matters enough just wanted to raise this
point so it is understood/considered

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes