[FFmpeg-devel] dcp encoding + new pixel format request/sponsorship

Michaël Cinquin mc at michaelcinquin.com
Tue Jan 22 16:54:38 CET 2013

On 22 janv. 2013, at 16:08, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On 1/22/13, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> FYI, contributor from Libav, with irc nick Buxiness is hacking on j2k
> code is also working on XYZ.
I think the XYZ part of Digital Cinema encoding with FFmpeg has a good start-of-a-solution with vf_rgb2xyz ; I hope my commit will eventually make it to the trunk (though I do realize there may be a more elegant / efficient way to do it).
I'll try to get in touch with Buxiness if we don't find a solution here for those 4 extra bits to save 12bpc files.

On 22 janv. 2013, at 15:57, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Is "Digital Cinema" JPEG 2000?
Yes, I'm trying to use FFmpeg as the one-stop solution to opensource DCP mastering for Digital Cinema.
On the input, you put whatever FFmpeg accepts
On the output, you get jpeg-2000 .j2c files DCI-compliant, XYZ encoded, with a 2.6 gamma, 12 bpc, ready to pack into an mxf by asdcp-test.

You can find lots of opensource workflows on the net, all of them require you make a TIFF intermediate, which is in my mind a waste of resources, especially when most tools use libopenjpeg in the end.