[FFmpeg-devel] [Report] Summary of donations in the second semester of 2012

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 18:01:59 CET 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefano Sabatini" <stefasab at gmail.com>
To: "FFmpeg development discussions and patches" <ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-devel] [Report] Summary of donations in the second semester of 2012

On date Wednesday 2013-01-02 09:49:42 +0100, Clément Bœsch encoded:
[...]
> I know I've raised that topic a few times already, but it would be nice to
>> have public information about who contributed (for those willing to
>> obviously), and link it somewhere on the website. My reasoning behind this
>> is that it is important for some companies IMO; typically companies
>> willing to show the world they are supporting such open source projects.
>> In these cases, money is generally the simpler way for them, and an
>> anonymous donation has no benefit at all for them.

>In the past semester all "consistent" donations were done by private
>users, and the current donation mechanism is pretty inflexible and
>doesn't allow to give consent to publish the donor credentials in an
>automated fashion. The request can be done through explicit request
>(e.g. by mail) if the need arises.

>Alternatively we may create a sort of "contest" for which a company
>can propose its sponsorship and gain some visibility on a dedicated
>section of the website.

Would be good to see this kind of thing on an ffmpeg webpage. It might be useful to see how the donations contributed were used to
improve ffmpeg. This might not be practical but say someone wants to donate for a specific fix or in a specific area. It could
potentially increase donations if people knew how the donations are spent.