[FFmpeg-devel] The OpenCL support in ffmpeg.

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Tue Feb 26 02:39:00 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013, at 02:33 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> 2: The other issue is that certain distributions notably Debian, but I
> think there are others, are putting a very big notice on ffmpeg runtime
> saying that it is deprecated and we should all use libav.

Note that the "ffmpeg" maintainer in Debian/Ubuntu is a libav developer.

The message you refer to is pointing out that the fake ffmpeg package
and binary (its upstream is libav by the way) available from the Ubuntu
repository has been depreciated for avconv (libavs renamed version of
ffmpeg). It is a terribly worded message. Unfortunately, it has resulted
in mass user confusion who assume real ffmpeg has been "deprecated", and
some extend that thought to the FFmpeg project as well; which is
obviously untrue. However, I can't image that this was not a foreseen
side-effect of the message.

Every time I explain this I want a beer...good thing I just got a new
keg.

Lou