[FFmpeg-devel] yadif relicensing

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Feb 25 18:11:26 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 09:08:11AM +0100, Robert Krüger wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:52:49 +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> >>On date Friday 2013-02-22 17:40:45 +0100, Robert Krüger encoded:
> >>[...]
> >
> > imo, its much easier to just relicense the first version which only
> > michael had copyright on, and then use some of the bounty to pay a
> > coder to fix it up and optimize it again.
> >
> > trying to contact old authors for relicensing is like herding cats.
> >
> > -compn
>
> Interesting option. I guess since that person is most likely going to
> be Michael too, it will depend on what he thinks of such a sponsored
> "yadif next generation" approach. For a transition period both filters
> could coexist much like the mplayer filters being removed once an
> equivalent or better version is there. I would definitely help testing
> a new deinterlacing filter.

What is needed is that someone
1. makes a list of the authors
2. contacts the authors and asks if they agree to LGPL relicensing and
   if so find an agreement about the share of the money for each.

once this is done we can discuss what to do about code that was
written by people who have not replied.

please concentrate your time, if you want to help on 1. and 2. and
not some later steps that might for all we know be unneeded.
Also if you no longer want to help, please state that clearly so
noone waits for you to work on this.

Thanks

Into a blind darkness they enter who follow after the Ignorance,
they as if into a greater darkness enter who devote themselves
to the Knowledge alone. -- Isha Upanishad