[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg libavcodec/crystalhd.c: Optimize for reduced latency

Philip Langdale philipl at overt.org
Sun Feb 3 02:59:40 CET 2013

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:18:22 +0100
thomas schorpp <thomas.schorpp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got it sync'd to the driver and a stable pipeline control loop,
> the TX/RX- ringbuffers balanced with faster and more precise sync
> locking for now with patch #03:
>
><SNIP>
>
> Why is a pixel format converter called "scaler" in FFmpeg?
>
> But I don't see the cause from the stream input in the stereo3d
> filter source code hitting this switch() case: [stereo3d] stereo
> format of input is not supported I try to excplicitely specify pixel
> format and scaler params.
>
> Comments on this crystalhd.c development patch?

The pixel format conversion is done by the scaler because it has to
support that anyway, so even when doing a 1:1 conversion it gets used;
that's just an ffmpeg implementation detail.

So, yeah - it certainly seems functional - with the big caveat that if
you try and seek in the video with mplayer, it will overflow the input
buffer and grind to a halt. The old code doesn't do that. It's fine
for a transcode run, but not good for interactive playback.

--phil