[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Creating ffmpeg-distmaint mailing list

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Dec 29 15:43:56 CET 2013

Alexander Strasser <eclipse7 <at> gmx.net> writes:

>   - lessen the noise of distribution specific topics
> on ffmpeg-devel

Could you point to examples of such emails?
(I currently don't remember any.)

>   - getting notified earlier and more clearly about
> distribution problems

We currently have a user-mailing list and a bug tracker to
report issues and the last (two) packaging issues were fixed
within days.
Are you sure we can improve?
Why should people who do not want to report issues now do
that on a new mailing list?

>   - getting proposed patches tested more widely and quickly
>   - getting fixes into the packages more widely and quickly

I don't understand that at all:
We do not backport new features currently and assuming
that no additional manpower appears, I hope we do not
change this.
Regression fixes are currently backported after they are
tested, what exactly do you want to change?

Carl Eugen