[FFmpeg-devel] DVB Subtitles

JULIAN GARDNER joolzg at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 4 14:37:24 CET 2013

----- Original Message -----

I think the assumption is wrong on your part. DDS was added later to the DVBSubtitle spec to help fix this exact problem, it was not part of the 1st spec i worked with.

All the DVBsubtitle engines i have used base their osd drawing on a standard screen UNLESS DDS is included.

Read Appendix B of http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/300700_300799/300743/01.03.01_60/en_300743v010301p.pdf

This being the one that pertains to this problem

"b) DVB subtitles for an HDTV service where the on-screen graphics display is standard definition (720 by 576)
and is upconverted by the receiver before being overlaid on the HDTV video image:"

The spec talks in terms of "standard definition" which is what is taken as default if no DDS is present

joolz