[FFmpeg-devel] attribute_deprecated int avpicture_deinterlace ??

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 1 15:02:31 CET 2013

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 09:18:07 -0500
"Don Moir" <donmoir at comcast.net> wrote:

> If post-processing means it's a filter and belongs in lavfi, then everything in swscale and resample should also be in lavfi because
> those are post-processes as well. Don't take me literally though :)

Actually, that's probably the simplest way to use them. You could just
use libavfilter to take care of all these things, and forget about
libswscale/lib{av,sw}resample (other than making sure they're enabled in
libavfilter).

> Just saying that deinterlace is special case of post-processing. In other words, it is more or less mandatory to produce the proper
> frame image. Nothing else in lavfi is needed to produce the proper frame image and those are just after effects.

Deinterlacing is a complicated process, and the old lavc deinterlacer
is the most crappy way to do it. Deinterlacing is an unsolved problem
too, so there's no "perfect" way to do it, but you can be sure that the
methods provided by libavfilter are far superior to what the old lavc
deinterlacer provides.

> Now if you need to call some code to do essentially the same thing, there is a procedure for it and you already know that and you
> already have the library structure in place. I suppose one person decided it was a good idea to phase avpicture_deinterlace out and
> move the functionality of that to the sore thumb lavfi library so we can burdoned with carrying that baggage around. You (whoever)
> are proposing taking something that is elegantly simple and moving it to a library that is anything but.

The lavc is not elegantly simple, it's just crappy and not even close
to a good deinterlacer, from what I've heard. I can't understand why
you are arguing why lavc should continue to provide this very crappy,
half-baked, inferior filter, while everything else that has to do with
conversion or post-processing is outside of lavc?